Google has made available its Google Now Launcher to all devices running Android 4.1 and above. Google Now launcher was first made available with Nexus 5. Google later made the launcher available in the Play Store but was limited to Nexus and Google Play Edition devices running KitKat. Now you can download the launcher if you have Android 4.1 or above running on your device. The launcher is available in the Google Play Store (Link below).
Google Now launcher Key features:
• Google Now on your home screen – its easier than ever to get just the right information at just the right time.
• Just say “OK Google” – when you’re on your home screen, just say OK Google to trigger voice input. Then say your search query. Or tell your phone what to do, like send a text message, get directions or play a song (available in the US, UK and Canada).
• Faster search – tap the search box and you can enter your query immediately.
• Easy access to your favourite Google products and services, like Gmail, YouTube and Maps.
• Larger viewing area – the status and navigation bars are now translucent, so your wallpaper pops from every pixel, and is even visible when you expand your apps drawer (when supported by device).
• Intuitive wallpaper picker – select any image that’s stored on your device or in the cloud. Position and preview your wallpaper before you set it.
[pb-app-box pname=’com.google.android.launcher’ name=’Google Now Launcher’ theme=’discover’ lang=’en’]
Microsoft has launched pre-release version of its Outlook Web App for Android.
To install OWA (Outlook Web App) you will require Android KitKat running on your device. Also, your mailbox must be running on Office 365 for Business. The pre-release version is available in the Google Play Store (link below). After installing OWA, an icon for the same will automatically be put on your home screen.
Microsoft in a blog post noted that “During this pre-release, we’ll be gathering feedback, fixing bugs and making sure the app is ready for prime time! The app distribution will be limited to a few devices to begin with. We’ll be adding new device support regularly so if your device isn’t supported right now, check back often.”
While OWA for iPhone is already available, OWA for Android additionally lets you sync your device contacts with your Office 365 mailbox.
[pb-app-box pname=’com.microsoft.exchange.mowa’ name=’OWA for Android (Pre-Release)’ theme=’discover’ lang=’en’]
Google has released Docs and Sheets apps in the Google Play Store. Google announced in a blog post that it will be launching the Slides app soon in the Play Store. These standalone apps come with offline support to enable viewing, editing and creating without an internet connection. Users can quickly find, edit and create documents, spreadsheets, and presentations on the go.
Google also announced that Drive app will still be available in the Play Store and that files you create or edit will be saved to cloud.
AirTel has launched ‘Pocket TV’ mobile app for Android. The app enables Airtel Digital TV users to watch their favourite TV programs on their mobile or tablet. The app gives access to 150+ live TV channels, past episodes of 13+ channels on anytime TV and thousands of videos including movies on your phone or tablet.
Here is all you get with the Pocket TV Android app :
– Live TV: 150+ channels across popular genres
– Anytime TV: Watch past episodes on 13+ channels
– Video Library: 10,000+ videos
– All networks supported: Supports all operator networks
– Adaptive streaming: Video streaming bitrate dynamically adjusts to the network bandwidth on your device
– Genre based UI: Filter channels by genre and view videos by genre
– Search: Find a channel by typing in the name
– Program Guide: Electronic program guide for one week in advance
– Recommendation Zone: Get top viewed, newly added and top rated content on the home screen
– Favorites: Set favorite channels for easy access
– Social Media Integration: Share the channel you are watching on Facebook
– Set Alarms: Set program reminders
To access these services, you need to subscribe at INR 60 per month The ‘Pocket TV’ app is just 3MB in size and requires Android 2.2 and up. The app is available for free in the Google Play Store.
Once the app is installed, you need to activate the service by sending the SMS <ADD TV> to 54325 from your registered mobile number. You will receive one-time activation password. Just enter this password in the app along with your Airtel Digital TV customer ID or your registered mobile number.
Starting today, Office Mobile for Android is being made completely free. Earlier with the office mobile app one could only view Office documents. One needed Office 365 subscription for editing the Office documents. The subscription costs $10/month. You can now view as well as edit Word documents, Excel spreadsheet or PowerPoint presentations for free.
Office Mobile Key Features :
Access documents from virtually anywhere:
• Cloud – With your phone, you can access Office documents that are stored on OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint.
• Recent Documents – Office Mobile is cloud-connected. The documents you’ve recently viewed on your computer are readily available on your phone in the recent documents panel.
• Email Attachments – You can view and edit Office documents attached to email messages.
Office documents look stunning:
• Great-Looking Documents – Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents look great on your phone, thanks to support for charts, animations, SmartArt Graphics, and shapes.
• Optimized for phone – Word, Excel and PowerPoint have been optimized for the small screen of your phone.
• Resume Reading – When opening a Word document from OneDrive or OneDrive for Business on your phone, it automatically resumes at the place where you left off reading, even if you last viewed the document on your PC or tablet.
• Presentation Views – The Slide Navigator view in PowerPoint lets you browse slides faster, while speaker notes help you practice your presentation.
Office Mobile app is 27MB in size and requires Android 4.0 and up. Office Mobile is compatible with mobile phones only. The app is not currently available for Android tablets. You just need to login with your Microsoft account or create one. You can download Office Mobile for Android for free from Google Play Store.